You look around you and see that some attorneys seem to be thriving while others seem more to be just surviving. It can be frustrating to look at those around you and wonder just what they are doing to get the results YOU WANT! You may find yourself asking, “what sets those who get stuck in the day to day drudgery from the successful attorney leaders?”
Believe it or not, this is one of the most frequently asked questions at Practice42. Let us take a look at 6 habits of attorneys who excel in the professional field.
1. They put in the work. Let’s say that again, THEY PUT IN THE WORK. Often it is either first thing in the morning or late at night. This might not be the tip you hoped to see on this list, but here it is. Putting in the work before the office opens or after it closes, or alone on the weekends and on the holidays, can be essential to succeeding as an attorney practice leader. It is the time when the phone is not necessarily ringing nonstop. Email traffic goes down to a minimum. Distractions of a seemingly ever-growing to-do list are never lower than at these times of the day. Take advantage of this and reap the benefits of starting or ending your day by checking off some of those things you have been meaning to do, but never get around to doing during the day.
2. They pay themselves and take time off. This sounds crazy, we know, but taking care of yourself can be an essential part of being an effective leader. Energy stores can be quickly depleted and charging your batteries must happen from time to time. Pay yourself for the work you put in. Take those vacation days. Treat yourself to these periods of renewal so you can get back to work with a clear head, a fresh perspective, and the drive to take on that to-do list.
3. They have a handle on the data they need. How are you tracking employee productivity? Tracking marketing ROI? Do you have an effective and efficient way of tracking firm costs and workflow? Having a handle on this kind of data means you know what is working and what is not working in your organization. Does there seem to be a barrier to growth? Look to the data and it will likely be there to highlight potential bottlenecks.
4. They have a mission and use it as a touchstone each and every day. Starting each day (and each week, month, and quarter) by reviewing your to-do list from the vantage point of how it serves your professional goals and practice’s mission can help keep you on track and continue to push you forward. It will help you prioritize your tasks and make sure those items with the highest return on investment get the attention they deserve.
5. They continue to find ways to evolve and improve. The mastering of a profession or practice is elusive as the world is ever growing and ever changing around us. Successful attorney practice leaders invest in pursuing professional and personal growth. Take the time to focus on the areas that are integral to not just sustaining success, but growing success and invest your energy in cultivating them.
6. They remember that success is multifaceted. Professional success and personal success are not mutually exclusive and this is something successful attorneys come to understand. Working hard and living a well-rounded life are both important and can both be achieved through effective time management and prioritization of goals. Although it may not feel like it at times, being professionally successful and living a fulfilling life of time spent with loved ones and on the hobbies that you are passionate about is possible!
We get it, along with the challenges you face. This is just one way in which a performance coach can help you create a firm culture that people want to be a part of and stay a part of. Whether you are looking for a mentor coach or a performance coach, Practice42 has your back. Our coaching programs are specially designed to meet your needs and help you work through your challenges so you can reach your full practice potential. Let us help you grow and succeed! Call us to schedule a free Strategy Session at 850-933-5072 or fill out our Contact Us Form and we will call you!